[bksvol-discuss] Re: Guidance needed

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:36:31 -0600

Yes, selecting the entire text of the book at once and applying paragraph formatting will work just fine. As you commented already, the only thing you will need to do then will be to change the indent for paragraphs that shouldn't have it, and those spots should be pretty rare. I wouldn't even worry about the page numbers being indented, because it won't matter to bookshare's process. I'm glad that you can now have a little easier time with validating books without having to sacrifice end quality. Actually, this might be the only way to ensure quality. :-)

I also wanted to tell the people that like double spacing between paragraphs that they can have it there way as well. All you have to do is use the HTML file that can be produced from the DAISY download. Double spacing between paragraphs is the normal paragraphing indication for HTML. You also have the side benefit of page numbers placed in the text at the top of each page. You say you are a braille reader ... no problem.. If you read your books on a note taker you can always open the HTML on your computer and save it in a format that your notetaker can use, and just have it do it's normal thing with on-the-fly translation to grade II braille.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity