[bksvol-discuss] Greetings from the new Volunteer Coordinator!

  • From: Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:04:10 -0700

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I'm so excited to be working with such a
great organization and getting to know the wonderful volunteers!  Alisa already
gave me a great introduction, so there's not much more to say.

On a more fun and personal note, I love to read, write, draw, and paint.  When
it comes to books, I like just about everything!  I'm currently reading Moby
Dick and some short stories/fairy tales by George MacDonald.  In the queue are
Guns, Germs, and Steel, Of Mice and Men (I somehow never read it in school),
and I think a mystery of some type.  I'm also listening to a murder mystery
book on tape in my car.  I especially adore fairy tales, especially by
MacDonald and Anderson, and actually wrote my college thesis on Lewis Carroll's
Alice books and George MacDonald's first and last works.

Please feel free to email me with any questions!

Cheers,

Madeleine Linares
Volunteer Coordinator
Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative
650-644-3459
madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:13 PM
To: bksvol-discuss digest users
Subject: bksvol-discuss Digest V9 #74

bksvol-discuss Digest   Wed, 14 Mar 2012        Volume: 09  Issue: 074

In This Issue:
                [bksvol-discuss] currently scanning
                [bksvol-discuss] font Question
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question
                [bksvol-discuss] Withdrawn
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: Withdrawn
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: Withdrawn
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: Withdrawn
                [bksvol-discuss] currently scanning
                [bksvol-discuss] Checkout A Book Link won't work in IE9 and
                [bksvol-discuss] Re: Withdrawn

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 06:20:27 -0400
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] currently scanning
From: "Ixchel, Jackie" <starsandhearts2@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
I will be scanning the following books:
A Crime So Monstrous: Face-to-Face with Modern-Day Slavery by Benjamin E.
Skinner Somebody's Daughter: The Hidden Story of America's Prostituted Children
and the Battle to Save Them by Julian Sher Sex Trafficking: Inside the Business
of Modern Slavery by Siddharth Kara

Regards,
Jackie

--
Currently Reading: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan and Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

------------------------------

From: "Kim Loftis" <kll2277@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] font Question
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:24:01 -0400

Hi All,
Well, I'm just about to begin proofing my first Bookshare book!  *gulps*
Before I did it, I wanted to familiarize myself with the steps, and, as much as
possible, get comfortable with them.  I know practice and the routine of doing
them over and over for books will make it easier.  Hahaha.  Hopefully after
successfully completing this one, I won't feel so daunted.  *sheepish grin*

My question is about the font.  This particular book has a font that my Word
2003 doesn't have installed, so it said it would show me the closest font
available.  I understand that Times New Roman is an easy font to read, and know
from the documentation that it's a recommended font.  I already know that I
can't change text.  But is it okay to change the type of font.  In other words,
could I select the entire content of the rtf, change it to times new roman 12
point, and then change the size of particular chapter titles, book title, etc,
as required?

Any info is very much appreciated!

Thanks much!

Kim

------------------------------

From: "Lori Castner" <loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: font Question
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 13:34:27 -0700

Hi, Kim,
Yes, you can do as you say: change the font of the entire book to Times New
Romans and then change the size of the font accordingly, for example, 16-point
for chapter headings.
Lori C.

From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 13:41:41 -0700

HI Kim,

Absolutely!  You can and should change font and standardize it, then bold and
enlarge where necessary!  You've got the process well in hand!

Happy proofreading!

Mayrie

  _____

From: "Kim Loftis" <kll2277@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:44:26 -0400

Hi Lori,
That's excellent!!  Thanks for confirming that for me -- was pretty sure I
could, but knowing for certain is fantastic!

Thanks so much.

From: "Kim Loftis" <kll2277@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:46:11 -0400

Hi Mayrie,
Many thanks!  Both for the confirmation and the words of encouragement.  LOL
I'm a very thorough, detail-oriented person by nature, so wanted to
double-check.  *smile*  I appreciate the help and support very much!

Warmest,

From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:10:26 -0700

Hi Kim

If you are detail oriented, you'll adore proofreading!

It's great to have you with us!

Mayrie

  _____

From: "Kim Loftis" <kll2277@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:19:43 -0400

Hi Mayrie,
Thanks a million!  I'm sure I'll adore it... between my new Kurzweil software
and learning to proofread accurately, plus all these books that are now
accessible to me, Kim's a deliriously happy girl!  LOL

I'm extremely happy to be here, too!

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:29:34 -0400
From: "Ixchel, Jackie" <starsandhearts2@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
Kim, good luck on doing your first book. I hope you have fun!
Jackie

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:30:39 -0400
From: "Ixchel, Jackie" <starsandhearts2@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Mayrie,
I have one question, if the font of a book isn't at bookshare standards, will
it be returned again for proofing?
Thanks,
Jackie

From: "Kim Loftis" <kll2277@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:34:51 -0400

Thanks, Jackie!!  I'm sure I will.  *smile*

Warmest,
Kim

------------------------------

From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:36:09 -0700

HI Jackie,

If your book has severe font problems, it is likely to be returned for more
editing.

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:40:55 -0400
From: "Ixchel, Jackie" <starsandhearts2@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
Kim, no problem.
Mayrie, thanks so much.
Jackie

From: "Sue Stevens" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Withdrawn
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:34:14 -0500

I am seeing PQ books that say “withdrawn”.  If they have been withdrawn,
why are they still on the new books list?
Sue S.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:01:36 -0600
From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Withdrawn

When I've seen this happen, it's because something is mucked up in converting a
PQ book to Bookshare formats that wasn't caught before it entered the
collection. So they withdraw if from the collection until it can get fixed.
That can happen almost as soon as the books shows up as new.  I just ran across
some books like that last week. Carrie was fixing them even faster than I
reported that they were having problems.
Sometimes the problem can't get fixed immediately and they have to withdraw the
book until a fix can be found.
Judy s.

------------------------------

From: "Sue Stevens" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:29:12 -0500

Yes, I get why books are withdrawn.  I meant to ask why the book would be on
the list if it had been withdrawn?
Sue S.

When I've seen this happen, it's because something is mucked up in converting a
PQ book to Bookshare formats that wasn't caught before it entered the
collection. So they withdraw if from the collection until it can get fixed.
That can happen almost as soon as the books shows up as new.  I just ran across
some books like that last week. Carrie was fixing them even faster than I
reported that they were having problems. Sometimes the problem can't get fixed
immediately and they have to withdraw the book until a fix can be found.

Judy s.

On 3/14/2012 4:34 PM, Sue Stevens wrote:
  I am seeing PQ books that say “withdrawn”.  If they have been withdrawn,
why are they still on the new books list?

  Sue S.

No virus found in this message.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:04:00 -0600
From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

If you're talking the new books list generated by bookshare, it seems from what
I notice that a book gets added to the new books list when it enters the
collection. That list doesn't get corrected if the book then gets withdrawn.  I
think John's list is generated from that list, so it would list all the books
that enter the collection by day as well, whether or not they've been
subsequently withdrawn.
Does that make sense?  Or am I talking in circles and not explaining what I'm
thinking very well? smile.

Judy s.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:12:12 -0400
From: Julia <julia.kulak@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi everyone.
     As you can see, this huge list will keep me busy for some time, smile.

Jean Plaidy's Plantagenet Saga
Book 1 is already in the collection, so I'm starting with 2.

The Revolt of the Eaglets

The Heart of the Lion

Prince of Darkness

The Battle of the Queens

The Queen from Provence

Hammer of the Scots / Edward Longshanks

The Follies of the King

The Vow on the Heron

Passage to Pontefract

The Star of Lancaster

Epitaph for Three Women

Red Rose of Anjou

The Sun in Splendour

Rosemary Rowe's Libertus series. Cindy, are you still interested in proofing?
Write me off list.
I've already added book 8. A Roman Ransom.

1. The Germanicus Mosaic

2. A Pattern of Blood

3. Murder in the Forum

4. The Chariots of Calyx

5. The Legatus Mystery

6. The Ghosts of Glevum

7. Enemies of the Empire

9. A Coin for the Ferryman

10. Death at Pompeia's Wedding

11. Requiem For A Slave

12. The Vestal Vanishes

13. A Whispering of Spies

Jack Whyte Camulod Chronicles, series. Sue S is proofing. Some of these are
already in the collection, but are rated as "good," so I'm doing BSOs. The
first two I've already submitted. Book 3 is currently being proofed.
4. The Saxon Shore

5. The Fort at River's Bend

6. The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis

7. Uther

8.  The Lance Thrower,     aka Clothar the Frank

9. The Eagle

Also by Jack Whyte The Guardians series,

1. The Forest Laird
The other three are pending completion.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:28:10 -0700
From: Chela Robles <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Checkout A Book Link won't work in IE9 and Firefox 10

Greetings to all,
I just tried to see what was on the Checkout A Book list when I noted both in
Firefox 10.0.2 and IE9, the link didn't work using NVDA screen reader
highlighted the link and pressed enter on it and it never took me where I
needed to be.
Anyone else having this dilemma?

--
"Passion is a great motivator. Music is a life-long learning experience."
--

------------------------------

From: "Sue Stevens" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:32:27 -0500

(smile)  Comes the dawn!  I finally get it!!!  (smile)
Sue S.

  When I've seen this happen, it's because something is mucked up in converting
a PQ book to Bookshare formats that wasn't caught before it entered the
collection. So they withdraw if from the collection until it can get fixed.
That can happen almost as soon as the books shows up as new.  I just ran across
some books like that last week. Carrie was fixing them even faster than I
reported that they were having problems. Sometimes the problem can't get fixed
immediately and they have to withdraw the book until a fix can be found.

  Judy s.

  On 3/14/2012 4:34 PM, Sue Stevens wrote:
    I am seeing PQ books that say “withdrawn”.  If they have been
withdrawn, why are they still on the new books list?

    Sue S.

  No virus found in this message.

No virus found in this message.

End of bksvol-discuss Digest V9 #74