[bksvol-discuss] Re: Got my first book to validate and some questions: Volunteers: how much work is realistic

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:18:32 -0500

Hi shana,
If the page numbers skip but the story does not, then don't worry about it.
Never mind the page numbers.  Some were probably just missed when the ocr took
place, not an  uncommon occurrence. As for checking the
copyright, you can probably find that at amazon.com by looking up the book's
title and author. but if you don't have any reason to suppose its not correct,
and what the submitter put is what is in the book, then that
should suffice. And you don't need to mess with the isbn at all. Its not
mandatory. You can often find those  at amazon. But if there is more than one
edition of the book, it can be tricky to figure out which one you have
and which one you're seeing on the site. If the text is excellent, or you made
it so by fixing it up, that's the big thing.
I don't think the BookShare staff expects validators to  double check
copyrights with something like the Library of Congress. If the text scanned
well, chances are the numbers for the copyright are ok.
Mary