[bksvol-discuss] Re: Full Inclusion: Image Description Protocols in 360 Degree Review

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 09:20:39 -0800

Misha,

Aha! I have definitely led you to the edge of the slippery slope toward
the more interesting questions in this project. It would e very
interesting to learn what you did if the answer ever comes back to you. My
hunch is that through the very pragmatic process of image description we
are all going to (re)expose systemic biases toward sight in many common
teaching and testing practices.

Bookshare's short term deliverable will be 10,000 described images in
science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) books in by October
2012. The midterm spillover benefit has already begun - experienced
volunteers from this list asking to describe PQ books that are not STEM.
The longterm benefits will impact publishers to add their own image
descriptions in digital books pre-publication.

Scott