[bksvol-discuss] Re: Full Inclusion: Image Description Protocols in 360 Degree Review

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 12:55:50 -0700

Hi Lori,

I am pleased to see you (unprompted) note to the list but not for the reason
you might first expect. Your note documents the need for what I have been
advocating from the conceptual phases of the project – that the image
description tool itself must be fully accessible to those of us with
disabilities.

To answer your concern, the guidelines for describing in children's books or
for art are quite different – the opposite of those for STEM textbooks at times.

scott

From: Susan Lumpkin <slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 11:48:56 -0700
To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Full Inclusion: Image Description Protocols in
360 Degree Review

Hi Lori,

I surely do hope you’re incorrect because, if so, several of us, both sighted
and blind, have spent a great deal of time either describing or editing
descriptions of pictures in detail in such things as figures in a history book
or landscapes in a nonfiction work or especially pictures in Children's books!

Susan