[bksvol-discuss] Re: Full Inclusion: Image Description Protocols in 360 Degree Review

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:51:11 -0700

OK, there are (at least for this purpose) two types of images in nonfiction books--ones that add further information about the subject being taught and ones that do not. An example of one type would be a picture of the chemist who invented the process being described in a chemistry book. No new information about the chemical process is added by that picture being there, but for students more interested in history or art, having that picture there might help to keep them interested. A diagram showing the three-dimensional relationships between the parts of the molecules involved could add a great deal of information which could be skipped over in the text because the diagram is there. Or a graph of results might be referred to in the text, "as can be seen from the graph in figure 2, sodium reacts more quickly than potassium." So, from the text a blind person at least knows what the most important results are. But that same chart may also show how magnesium and strontium reacted and that may even be referred to in, say a homework question. A blind student wouldn't have a clue what is being missed unless there are image descriptions.

Not that I've had time to participate in any of this image description project--bookshare is just getting more and more things that a volunteer can do and I seem to have so little time.

Misha

On 11/5/2011 2:35 PM, Lori Castner wrote:
Judy, thank you for this explanation, but could someone give me a real live example? I suppose that the comparison would be like "sidebars" that appear in books that use a phrase already given in the body of the text. But what sort of image would be employed in a book?
Lori