[bksvol-discuss] Re: Confusing Styles in Word 2003

  • From: "Chela Robles" <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:57:40 -0700

I think this is what you're looking for let me know otherwise either way if it
works or not.
Chela Robles AKA Chris Botti jazz trumpeter

Word
How the Styles and Formatting pane works in Microsoft Word 2002 and 2003
Word does not create new styles.

If you tick the box at Tools > Options > Edit > Keep Track of Formatting, then
the Styles and Formatting pane will list all combinations of formatting ever
used in the document.

In Word 2002, Microsoft introduced the Styles and Formatting pane. It's quite a
change over the way that styles and formatting were handled in earlier versions
of Word. This web page describes how it works. The screenshots here are from
Word 2003, but broadly the information applies to Word 2002, Word 2003 and Word
2007.

Big idea 1: The Styles and Formatting pane doesn't list all your styles
Every bit of formatting in Word depends on styles, whether you choose them
explicitly or not. If you're going to use Word effectively or efficiently, you
need to know about styles.

Word comes with dozens of built in styles. But, by default, Word hides them
all. That's akin to Boeing making a new jet and hiding the cockpit controls in
a locked cupboard in the galley. You have to expose them all.

Figure 1: How to see all your styles in Word 2003.

How to see all your styles.
  1.. Format > Styles and Formatting. On the right, you'll see the the Styles
and Formatting task pane.
  2.. In the Show box, select Custom. (No, don't choose 'All Styles'.
Microsoft's idea of 'All Styles' does not mean all the styles. True!)
  3.. You'll now see the Format Settings dialog box. From the Category list,
choose "All Styles". Then click Show All. And click OK. See Figure 1.
  4.. In the Show box, choose All Styles.
Big idea 2: Word 2002 and 2003 can keep track of the formatting you've used in
the document
Go to Tools > Options > Edit. If you tick the Keep Track of Formatting box,
then Word will keep track of the formatting you have ever used in this document.

And, the options in the Show box in the Styles and Formatting pane will reflect
your choice (Figure 2 and Figure 3).

Figure 2: When you tell word not to Keep Track of Formatting, the Show box in
the Styles and Formatting pane only allows you to see information about Styles.

Figure 3: When you tell Word to keep track of formatting, the Show box in the
Styles and Formatting pane allows you to see Available Formatting.

Big idea 3: The S&F pane identifies the type for each style

Figure 4: Word isn't creating new styles for you. But it might be listing
formatting you have used in your document. Here, Body Text + Bold, Orange is a
combination of a style (Body Text) and direct formatting (bold, orange) that
you have, at some stage, used in this document.

When Word shows you the list of styles in the Styles and Formatting pane,
you'll see an icon next to the name of each style. The icons show you what type
of style it is (see Figure 4). In early versions of Word, there were two kinds
of styles: paragraph styles and character styles. Word 2002 introduced two
more: list styles and table styles.

Big idea 4: Word doesn't create new styles!
If, at Tools > Options > Edit, you tick the Keep Track of Formatting box, then
in the Styles and Formatting task pane, you may see entries without a symbol.
They're not styles! Entries without a symbol have names like 'Body Text + Bold'
or 'Heading 1 + Orange'. These are combinations of a style and direct
formatting that you have used in your document. Word has not created new styles
in your document (see Figure 4).

What can I do with the Styles and Formatting pane?
You can use the Styles and Formatting pane to:

  a.. apply a style to your text (for a paragraph style, click anywhere within
the paragraph, then click the style name)
  b.. see what styles and formatting you have ever used in this document (in
the Show box, choose Formatting in Use or Styles in use)
  c.. create a new style (click the New Style button near the top of the S&F
pane)
  d.. modify an existing style (hover over the style name, click the down arrow
and choose Modify)
  e.. delete a custom style (hover over the style name, click the down arrow
and choose Delete - if it's greyed out, the style is built-in and you can't
delete built-in styles)
  f.. select all text formatted in a particular style, or with particular
formatting (make sure that you have ticked the box at Tools > Options > Edit >
Keep Track of Formatting; then click on a style name or formatting description
and then click Select All near the top of the S&F pane)
  g.. see how the style is formatted (the Styles and Formatting pane shows each
style in its own formatting)
  h.. see a description of the formatting for this style (hover over the style
name) (See Figure 5)
  Figure 5: Hover your mouse over a style name to see how the style is defined.

  i.. choose which styles you would like to see listed (in the Show box, choose
Custom. In the Category box, choose All Styles. Now, tick and un-tick the list
in the Styles to be Visible box. If you want to save this setting for all
documents based on this document's template, click the Save settings in
Template box. Click OK)
  j.. make the S&F pane wider or narrower (hover over the dividing line until
the cursor turns to a double-headed arrow, then drag).
How can I see and use the old Format Styles dialog box instead of the new
Styles and Formatting pane?
If you don't like the Styles and Formatting pane, you can return to the old
Format > Styles dialog that we've had since (at least) Word 95.

To get rid of the Styles and Formatting pane, you can customize the Format
menu. Do Tools > Customize > Commands. Under Categories, click Format. On the
right you have a list of all the formatting commands, many of which will be
familiar because they're on the standard toolbars or menus.

On this list, you'll see an entry called "Styles and Formatting ..." with two
blue As as its icon. That's the one on your Format menu. Further down, you'll
see another entry called "Styles ...". Its icon is a black roman A and a blue
italic A. Drag the one called "Styles..." to your Format menu. I put mine just
above the existing "Styles and Formatting..." menu item.

Then, if you prefer using the keyboard to the mouse, you can change the
shortcut keys. The customize dialog box is still open, right? Click on the
Format menu, and right-click on the "Styles and Formatting..." item and remove
the & from in front of the S in the name. Now, right-click on your new
"Styles..." menu item, and insert an & in front of the S in its name.

Close the Customize dialog box.

You now have the new fandangled thing on your menu if you want it, but your old
Format > Styles should look very familiar. This change must be saved to
normal.dot to work next time you use Word, so if you're prompted to save it,
say yes.

PS - Don't forget that the good old Styles box can always show you all your
styles

Figure 6: To see all the styles in your document, hold down Shift, then click
the arrow beside the Style box on the Formatting toolbar.

In Word 2002 and Word 2003, the Styles box is on the Formatting toolbar. When
you click in a paragraph, the Styles box shows you the style of your paragraph.

In Word 2007, you can see the Styles box as a separate pane by doing
ctrl-Shift-S. Or, on the Home tab, click the little arrow at the right of the
buttons for each style. Then, choose Apply styles.

In both cases, the Styles box has a little drop-down list from which you can
choose styles to apply to the selected text.

99 times out of 100, it won't show you all the styles in your document.

But... if you hold down Shift and click the down arrow, then bingo! you can see
all your styles, and you can choose whatever you need (Figure 6).

Please note that the information here is based principally on Word 2002, Word
2003 and Word 2007 for Windows. Different versions of Word on different
operating systems may act differently.

--
"To me, music that breaks your heart is the music that stays with you forever.
It's one thing to be melancholy and one thing to be sophisticated, but when you
get the two of them together in a way people can relate to, then I think you're
on to something. You want the sophistication to lie in the purity of the sound,
the beauty of the arrangements, and the quality of the performances."-Trumpeter
Chris Botti
Passion x Patience x Persistence x Perseverance x Diligence x Integrity =
Success, for both the trainer and the trainee.
Chela Robles
AIM and E-Mail: cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx
Skype: jazzytrumpet
Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=690550695
Cell: 1-925-250-5955
I Volunteer for a non-profit organization called Bookshare, to find out more go
to: http://www.bookshare.org