[bksvol-discuss] Computer Manuals, WAS: Re: Re: Responding to your messageRE: Re: unable to scan yada yada Prayer Group Gets Decked Out (book 7)

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 23:16:48 -0600

Hi Roger!

Some programmers are crackerjack programmers but poor manual writers. I'm into shareware and freeware, and there is a wide range of manual writing from poor and sketchy to very well-written and clear.

Some software in whatever kick I am into at the time has an interface that baffles me and then the next piece in the same given category works well for me, because it works the way I work.

Just playing with a piece of software by browsing it's menu system and trying things is also a good way to learn a new package I have found.

Debby

At 08:19 PM 12/24/2009, Roger Loran Bailey wrote
Well, we all have our advantages and disadvantages over each other. I do, indeed, have some advantages over you, but at the same time I think you have advantages over me and, at least from my perspective, It looks like you are in a better position to start scanning than I was when I started. As for your problem with comprehending manuals, that is exactly what I was talking about when I said that I read them and did not understand them. The secret is to take them a little at a time. Read as little as a sentence. Ask yourself what that sentence means. If it contains words that you do not know the meaning of then look them up or ask someone here on the list. One sentence should not be that difficult to understand and it should not be very daunting. Once you do understand it then that understanding will help you with the understanding of the next one. Soon you can take two, three, even more sentences at a time. I do know what you mean about reading manuals though. Sometimes there is something I need to review in a manual for something that I have gotten into using regularly. I go to the manual and try to find the part I need and I find myself reading through the whole thing looking for the part I need and not understanding anything. Still, though, the more I learn the easier it gets to learn the next thing and the more I learn about a device the quicker I can go to the part of the manual I need. There are even a few things that I can learn now in about fifteen minutes that even a year ago would have taken a week and every day of that week I would felt like I had run a marathon. And I really am referring to exhaustion. The effects of mental exhaustion are not very different from physical exhaustion. It leaves you just wanting to fall into the oblivion of sleep.

By the way, I just thought of another example of a manual that is impenetrable. Some time back there was a discussion of a text editor on this list called Ed Sharp. It was recommended as a good program for editing books for Bookshare. I downloaded it. I have yet to understand the slightest thing about how to use it. The help pages, the menues, everything about it is completely incomprehensible to me. All I can say is that it seems to be designed by techno people who assume that all users will also be techno people. "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com