[bksvol-discuss] Re: unable to scan yada yada Prayer Group Gets Decked Out (book 7)

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 20:16:46 -0500

Why am I worried about it? Well, I don't suppose I am really worried. It just kind of bothers me that someone is afraid of tackling something that I am almost certain the person will find quite easy once it is tackled. Really , it is not that hard. And even if it does turn out to be not something you want to continue with you can always stop. I say that with knowledge of my own experience. I first got a computer back in the 1990s and I was really lucky to be able to figure out how to even plug it in. I was completely on my own with no help whatsoever, but I had spent a good bit of money on it and I was determined to learn how to use it. Amazingly enough there was a telephone number in the material I got with it for technical support. I never called it because I didn't even know what it was for and the word technical made me think that whatever it was for it was something beyond me. Well, I had the version of open book installed on that computer that was current then and I did manage to learn how to use it. I even scanned several books for myself. The trouble is that Open Book was about the only thing I ever learned how to do with it. In 2003 I started with another computer and had Internet for the first time. Again, I had to teach myself, but knowledge builds on knowledge, so the learning was getting easier and easier. I can still say, though, that the learning experiences left me mentally exhausted. When I got on the Internet I checked out Bookshare at least once or twice, but at the time I was a bit put off by the up front 75 dollars and I started to read the help pages, but they weren't much help because I didn't even understand them. I even remembered emailing Bookshare support and asking a question and then when I got an answer I did not understand the answer. In about July of 2008 there were certain reasons that I was getting fed up with RFB&D. I resolved those problems, though, and I am still using RFB&D. But I decided to check out Bookshare again. Well, by that time I had learned enough about computers that I found myself actually understanding the help pages this time. After reading up on the site for a while I decided to give proofreading a try. It turned out to be really simple, but when I tried to upload my first effort I couldn't do it. I then subscribed to the volunteer list and asked what I was doing wrong. Bob gave me detailed enough instructions that I was successful and then I became enthusiastic about proofreading and started to do other books. Now the computer I now have has Open Book 6.0 installed on it but I had never used it. It was another case of looking into it when I first got the computer and finding that it was nothing like the version I had taught myself to use earlier and I did not understand it. If I had looked at the help menues I wouldn't have understood that either, but I did not even know how to look at the help menues. I can say that I had a fear of trying even after I was volunteering for Bookshare. Other volunteers did urge me to try, though, and in about January of 2009 I did try scanning a book. Interestingly enough by then I knew where to go to look at the help menues and I read them. The first reading was kind of cryptic for me though. I then went back and read one section at a time and made myself understand it before going on and pretty soon I had scanned and submitted my first book. It was Revolution for the Hell of It by Abbie Hoffman and if you download it and if the proofer has not done a perfect job you will see that my more recent scans are a lot better, but, well, we all have to take baby steps. Now, I prefer to submit than proof. That is because if I pick out a book to scan I am much more likely to find one I am actually interested in rather than by relying on other people's preferences by picking them out of the checkout list. Now, I see you in a similar position to my own. You don't think you know anything about scanning and it seems so much of a daunting task to you that you are afraid to start. I also see you in a much more advanced state of computer knowledge than I was when I started to scan. With all the trepidation I had when I started it turned out to not be that bad after all. I am almost certain that you will find it easier to learn than I did because you already know so much more than I did when I started. I expect that you will certainly get stuck along the way here and there, but you have the volunteer list full of people using the same kind of equipment you have and I am sure that they can work with you to help you over those rough spots. Try it. You might like it. "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com