[bksvol-discuss] Re: Comments about "strong language" or "violence".

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 12:16:38 -0500

Personally, I like the NLS method. Some people may have an aversion to violence, but no problem with explicit sex, or vice versa. People can make more appropriate decisions about their reading selections with this type of information.

Melissa Smith

On 3/27/2010 12:03 PM, Lynn I wrote:
Hi!

One way to note a book's content is to use language such as "contains strong
language" or "contains violence". I've done that when writing a synopsis for
books that consistently use the "f" word, for example.

NLS will designate a book in a similar fashion. Personally, I find that
helpful. Because a book contains some profanity won't make it adult--but if
the person submitting or proofreading it includes a comment as to "contains
some strong language" the reader can more easily choose whether or not to
read the book. *smile*

I also realize that some determinations are purely subjective.

Blessings.

Lynnsky