[bksvol-discuss] Re: Comments about "strong language" or "violence".

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 21:22:09 -0400

I do not see that I have gone over the edge by using perfectly legitimate analogies. In each of those cases, the restriction of what women might read or what slaves might have read, would have been met with astonishment and declarations of going over the edge in the context in which such practices were and are conducted and those declarations would have been made by those who would have defended the injustice. That which goes over the edge are injust parental practices and laws and customs that allow and encourage them. I have never been a biological parent myself, but I was rather closely involved in the raising of a little girl. She was never prohibited from reading anything she wanted and her speech was not restricted either. That is not to say that her freedom was completely unrestricted either. I clearly remember, when she was six years old, playing a tug of war with her when she did not want to get out of the street and I was trying to pull her out. She wanted to stay where she was, but I think she changed her mind and saw my point when she heard the brakes screeching. That was a case of restricting freedom to protect her from a real danger and I think it is a shame to waste protective resources protecting children from things that will not hurt them anyway when there are some real dangers out there. Certainly reading a book is not a danger. On the point of her speech, there was one time that the freedom she had was strained a bit. At a certain point she came up with some derogatory terms for homosexuals. I was taken aback and even a bit angered. Nevertheless, she was still never prohibited from using such words. I suspect that if she had been it would have caused some resentment and defiance, even if it was defiance behind my back. Instead, I explained to her that the words she was using were very hateful words and pointed out that she personally knew people who she liked a lot to whom those words could apply. She seemed to get the point, but at another time one of the words did reappear. I then calmly asked her if she would use such a word to describe Billy, a gay acquaintance of ours for whom she had considerable affection, and she did agree that that would be a bad thing to do. Even later, she came home once with a story that another child had used those kinds of derogatory words and she had explained why they were bad. That led to the words being used against her and understandably she was upset. I was sorry that she was harassed in that way, but I was extremely glad to hear that she had paid more attention to me than to her friends. I emphasize, though, that she was never prohibited from using nor hearing such words. No action was ever taken to shield her from any kind of speech and no effort was ever taken to choose her friends for her or to prohibit her from having the friends she wanted. She just decided that she did not want certain friends who used derogatory words against gay people and especially who used them against her. I would have considered it bad parenting to have restricted her in those ways. I will also go on to say that many parents, or people like me who are in a parenting role, practice bad parenting. I suppose you would probably consider a parent who imposes sex on a child to be a bad parent. There are more than one way to impose sex though. At least there are a number of ways to impose sexual attitudes. If, for example, I had reinforced the derogatory attitude toward gay people then I would have been practicing bad parenting. Also, as I said, if people have sexual hang-ups that is their business as long as they don't impose those hangups on other people. The same goes for children. If you have sexual hang-ups I have no idea what might have led to them. I have some suspicions like that you might have had parents who imposed their own hang-ups on you or that you might be heavily influenced by a church, but I really don't know and it is not really my business. However, if you purposely set out to train a child to grow up with the same hang-ups then I can't help but to conclude that you are engaging in bad parenting practices. And how does one purposely impose sexual hang-ups on children? One does it by acting like sex is some strongly taboo subject. One does it by hopelessly trying to prohibit children from learning about the existence of sex. I say hopelessly because no matter how hard you try you can't do it anyway. You do it by banning books from the child that might contain descriptions of sex or sexual words. You do it by prohibiting them from talking about sex or using words that might refer to it. The result is that you end up raising a hung-up child and even worse, you raise a child who turns into an adult who proceeds to impose his or her hang-ups on everyone else. That is, you set up a vicious cycle. Now, you do make a good point that these values, whether they are properly called values or hang-ups, vary for each of us. That, in itself, illustrates the negativity of such practices as prohibiting people with a certain status from reading certain books. The simple fact is that their values are likely to be different and when a prohibition is imposed on them it is a matter of forcing one person's or group of person's values on others. That is really an arrogant my-way-or-no-way attitude.

"As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the world"
Virginia Woolf

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press: