[bksvol-discuss] Re: Clobbered by PQ, again

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 20:21:55 -0400

I wouldn't say that the time for volunteers is over, but it is true that volunteers do contribute only a small percentage of the books on Bookshare now and the percentage is shrinking. I think the safest way to ensure that you do not get clobbered by PQ is to work on books from very small and obscure publishers and indy. There are plenty out there if you look for them. Go to the Amazon advanced book search and type in names like Vantage, independent, author or other terms indicating an indy publisher into the publisher field and see what comes up.

On 10/1/2014 9:12 AM, Tracy Carcione wrote:
Can we figure out some way to stop this happening so often?  Or is the
time for volunteers over, unless they can describe pictures or something?
Or do we have to hunt for the books off in their own niche that aren't too
likely to be PQ'ed?
Tracy

yeah, that one hurt.  It was a series of 15 books, and we'd finished
something like 13 of them and the PQ books replaced them. Another one I
got clobbered on recently was the Longmire series. Sandi and I were
working on that one and literally had the PQ books show up when we had
versions we'd scanned and proofed in the approval queue waiting to be
approved.  Ouch.  On the other hand, those were all books that are
popular and in print still, so at least I knew up front it was a risk
doing them.

Judy s.
On 9/30/2014 10:47 PM, misha wrote:
Mostly what I scan is old enough it doesn't get replaced. But less
than a year ago, Judy S and I (and a couple others I think) worked on
a series by C. J. Cherryh that I recently found out has been
completely replaced by PQ versions. *Sigh*

Misha