[bksvol-discuss] Chess books wished for

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 23:14:14 -0700 (PDT)

I am posting below an email received from a member who has sent to me a list of
chess books, arranged by category, which he'd like to see in the collection for
reasons he explains below. His last paragraph is in reply to a question I
asked, but I'm leaving it in because I think it's interesting.

When I have his list edited slightly it will be posted on the Wish List
underneath the instructions/descriptions and above the author groups. It may
not be until tomorrow or Sunday.

Cindy

"Thanks for the tip on finding chess books on Bookshare.

"As I mentioned the other day, I have taken the matter of a wish list
"under advisement." Half of my interest is personal, but the other half is
on behalf of the United States Braille Chess Association. USBCA has a
braille library fo 32 books, but they are almost all 30-40 years old, and"
a lot of our members do not even read braille. So we have been searching
for a resource to give folks access to chess books, especially books using
the algebraic notation (as opposed to the older "descriptive" notation)
that has become the standard over the past 20 years.

"The attached wish list has, I believe, 84 titles. (well, it IS a "wish"
list) I have divided the titles into categories such as for kids/juniors,
for beginners/average players, openings, middlegame, endgame, great
players & game collections, rules and history. Within each category I
ranked the titles according to what I believe to be our preferences.

"One book on the list - by Kasparov - is already int he Bookshare
collection, but I left it there as it is the first in a series of five.

"Yes, I play online chess. I am currently playing a fellow USBCA member and
also a member of the British BCA. Next month I will also be playing in two
team matches, one against Canada and the other against Italy. I suppose
this should more accurately be called email chess, as I do not myself sue
instant messaging. (I am getting old and think slowly...) Usually we
exchange a move or two each per day.

"thanks for your help. If I can help in any way, just let me know.

Rod