[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare is 6!

  • From: "Allison Hilliker" <bookshare_girl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:37:15 -0700

I actually tried joining Bookshare beta in 2002 sometime.  I was a sophomore
in college though and taking a lot of classes and doing many things and somehow never
got to it.  I remember being completely confused by the concept of having to
unencrypt the files.  I looked at that bit of info, said, "well that's too
complicated," and never continued the beta test.  Sad I know!  Then after it
fully launched, I wasn't going to join Bookshare even though I had a good
friend continuously trying to convince me.  I even remember having long
arguments with her and my saying that Bookshare was a ridiculous idea and
that it would never last. Boy was I ever wrong! I was still curious about Bookshare though even then. In 2003, Benetech had
donated two Bookshare memberships to the National Association of Blind
Students for a fundraiser auction.  At that auction, I bought my first
Bookshare membership for $33.  And then my life was forever-changed.  I tell
others that was the best $33 I've ever spent.  Because once I started
using Bookshare, and tearing through reading all the dozens of books I could
download, I was totally hooked.  I don't think I so much looked at an NLS
book for maybe the next three years or so.  Today I use both, but for a long
while I was that won over by Bookshare books.  I don't remember for sure
when I started as a volunteer.  I think it was either fall of 03 or spring
of 04.  I submitted some of the saddest little scans.   Seriously, I worry
that one day someone will come across one of those old scans and write the
list saying what a terrible read it is. <smile>.  I started validating
around that time too, and my validations were only somewhat better.
Thankfully, I've improved over time, and so has Bookshare.  I am forever
thankful that Bookshare donated that membership to NABS.  Back when I was
experiencing my failed attempt at Bookshare beta testing, I never imagined
that I would soon be a very happy member and volunteer.  And I definitely
would have never guessed that I'd end up working at Bookshare!

BTW, anyone else playing Scattergories tonight?  I plan to be there.  I
haven't done the Bookshare room game night yet.

Allison