[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books I have for submission

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 00:57:22 -0500

Doesn't sound as if you're waiting long enough for the transfer to complete.
A 50 MB file isn't going to upload in five minutes from a typical home
connection, and by typical home connection I'm talking cable modem or DSL.
The upload speed just isn't that fast.

You shouldn't believe the completion percentage for uploading either.  I've
only recently begun uploading books with JAWS 7.0, but now that I am and can
hear the completion percentage, it's obvious that it's incorrect.  I had to
wait about as long for a book to upload the last 1% the other day as I had
to wait for it to upload the first 99%.

Find out from your ISP what your upload speed is since it's usually slower
than your download speed and be sure to pay attention to what units they
give it to you in.  If they give it to you in bits per second instead of
bytes, then divide that by 10 to get an approximate upload speed in bytes.
Once you have that number, then use it to calculate how long your upload
should take and give the connection at least that long before giving up.

HTH

Gerald