[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books I have for submission

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:55:48 -0500

Hi E,
Sending big files over the HTTP protocol has been a pain in the rear end for years now. I don't know that the BookShare system is totally to blame in this case. I've seen lots of other sites have trouble with big upload files across a website. Other protocols like FTP (file transfer protocol) is much more suited to the mass transmission of data. Peer to Peer apps use differing protocols as well.

For whatever reason, download over HTTP works great. But uploading is that other story. Case in point, the progress bar when uploading isn't accurate at all. Neither is it accurate when downloading a large page. About the only thing that is accurate are actual downloads. And, half the time that is done through an FTP connection in the background.

What are the engineers doing? Well, they did release that braille file upgrade a couple months back. Jeniffer is busy learning everything about the BookShare system, and I know that she'll be talking to the engineers about how things work. Additionally, based on the promotion the newsline feature is getting, an upgraded interface might be on the drawing board as well.

Hang in there guys, we are getting two new replacements for Marissa's old job. Benetech/BookShare have hired people and are just as excited as anyone that the quality of service will improve. The pieces have been put in motion, it is up to us to let BookShare warm up the newcomers to jump into the arena. Have faith, the staff really does try, and knows all too well the enormous amount of work the project that is BookShare requires.

Jake