[bksvol-discuss] Re: Blank lines after page numbers

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 21:47:27 -0400

#
Ah yes, I clearly remember pushing that lever to return the carriage to the starting point and I remember moving on to the electric typewriter on which pressing what is now the enter key would automatically do the same. Nevertheless, I am sitting here in a state of having my mind blown. If I think about it, it makes all kinds of sense that Nimit would have never used a typewriter. Somehow I feel surprised though. It seems just entirely too recent that I was using them. I still think of a typewriter as a common office tool. Then someone says that they never saw or used one. Sheesh! Things have changed a lot in a very short period of time! Either that or I am getting old a lot faster than I thought. Let me tell you guys a secret. Even now when I have typed what feels like a line I sometimes feel the slight urge to reach up for that carriage return lever. I have made progress though. When I moved on to an electric typewriter I cannot tell you how many times I reached the end of a line and found myself reaching up and waving at empty air trying to return that carriage.
On 3/18/2013 9:29 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
chuckle.  you bring back memories.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 4:25 AM, Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Nimit,

Yes, we mean return or enter.  they are the same.  Some folks say return and
others say enter.  I think older folks say return because it is the
equivalent of pressing the key which was in the same position on the
keyboard of electric typewriters.  With the old manual ones you had to use a
lever to push the carriage back to the right and roll up the paper a line.
I think I have my old manual typewriter somewhere in the attic.  I'm keepin'
it, folks.  You never know when or if you might need it.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring