[bksvol-discuss] Re: All this talk of dashes I thought I would dash a note

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 00:51:25 -0400

Dear Cindy,

I needed that information. If I understand you correctly, if I exchange deep indents for double spaces I might be exchanging one time muncher for another.

It's unbelievable, but at page 93 my conscience wouldn't stop gnawing. I'd taken out the spaces around m dashes were they didn't belong, but left the space after the plain dash which precedes the majority of the dialogue. I believe these spaces weren't intended. It would be like putting a space after an opening quote. Tomorrow, back I go to page one to correct this. By now I know this book so well that the corrections should be quick, and I might even try global replacement if that's what control H does using jaws with word. Jumping in to unchartered waters again, I'll have to experiment. If I change the dashes before the quotes, it might disturb the dashes between words which are correct as they are. I'll make a test sample before trying anything on this file which better turn out to be a masterpiece!

As long as this thread has been, every post has moved our understanding of both approaches to the m dash discussion forward. Very classy, this group!

Always with love and lots of respect for all,

Lissi