[biztech-discussion] Re: Prioritization

  • From: MzWord@xxxxxxx
  • To: biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 21:57:10 EDT

I agree with much of what Bruce has said here. Andreas and I, who began this
"campaign" a year or so ago, also came to the conclusion that it would be
futile to try to stop offshoring, however, we would try to educate people about
it
anyway. We had hoped, a year ago, to get some funding from the union to do
some real actions, but, given limited resources and not much time ourselves,
could not do too much personally. Now, it's a year later, a lot of momentum has
been lost, and so many other urgent issues consume the world, that education
regarding offshoring - compared to the War(s) and the election - almost seems
like a trivial, idealistic pursuit to me. (I speak only for myself here;
Andreas
is in Europe.)
I do agree with Bruce about the security issue as the ONE real target that
can rally some broad public and worker support. The other concept was that
state
business should not be offshored, and that did gain political support as well
as legislation, in the past few months.

Read the "The Economist" of a few weeks ago (mid April, way before the
"Resign, Rumsfeld!" issue), and you'll see that they - a global, conservative,
yet
astute publication on some levels, with a bird's eye view on world markets -
have given a thumbs down to any discussion on offshoring, and they even mocked
Lou Dobbs, the only guy I know of in the mainstream media who has promoted anti
offshoring in a big way on MSNBC.

If we can structure a narrowly focused campaign - with union resources behind
it -  including our union organizer's time - we have a shot at accomplishing
something as a union. Without that, I'm afraid we are going to be ineffective.

I have been out of the NWU loop in the past couple of months, due to my own
personal survival stuff.....But will try to participate a bit more on this
list, and in brainstorming, at least.

Lisa