[birdky] RPT: Ballard County CBC results

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY (E-mail)" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:43:17 -0500

Scott Record and I were the only participants on the Ballard County CBC this
year, but we tallied 88 species. The off-and-on blustery conditions probably
caused us to miss a few species. Overall waterfowl numbers and diversity
were down a bit, but a nice mix of geese included at least one Cackling, two
Ross's, maybe 1000+ Greater White-fronts, 3500-5000 Snows and Blues, and
1000+ Canadas (the IL Dept of Natural Resources overflew the WMA while we
were there, so we will be able to use their numbers for geese when posted)
and we got all the regular dabblers plus 5 common divers. We had two new
species for this count: 2 different Sedge Wrens (on and adjacent to the West
Kentucky WMA in McCracken County) and a flock of 10 American White Pelicans
flying down the Ohio River. Another highlight was at least two LeConte's
Sparrows actually on the Ballard WMA for the first time. Numbers of berry
and mast eaters were back up after last year, but not as large as has been
seen some years. It was disappointing to miss the Spotted Towhee ... we're
hoping it was just the milder weather that had him absent from the usual
spot.

bpb, Louisville