[birdky] Re: Purple Martins. Boy, Have I hit the Jackpot !!

  • From: "Scott Freidhof" <sialia67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <purplemartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:25:16 -0500

Larry you are not alone.  I am fortunate to be able to spend a little
time managing three public sites as part of my job.  All three sites are
at Yatesville Lake in Lawrence County.  Specific locations include the
campground, the marina, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Office.  I
am planning to expand the public sites to include all of the Wildlife
Management Area lakes over here on the eastern side of the state.  These
areas represent a lot of excellent martin habitat that is currently
unused because there is no housing for them.

Everyone probably remembers the phrase, "If you build it, they will
come."  Well here at home about 4 years ago, at 7:00 pm on May 11, I
raised a single pole with eight natural gourds hanging on it.  At 8:00
am the next morning, there were three martins sitting on the gourds.
Three pairs nested that first season.  I still find it amazing to think
that it took just 13 hours to attract martins and establish a colony.
Of course it helped that there was a large, long established colony
about a mile down the road.  That colony was not managed well though
because the house sparrows and starlings were aggressively usurping a
number of cavities, forcing martins to look elsewhere.  Fortunately for
me that elsewhere was my yard.

Scott Freidhof
Rowan County