[birdky] RPT: Miscellaneous notes

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:39:44 -0400

I figured I'd provide my "solution" = "best guesses" to the waterfowl
photo quiz early next week.

The Lexington Reservoir Long-tailed Duck has not been seen since March
3rd.

Following last Saturday's snow storm, Don Martin reported a couple of
flocks of "about 50" Snow Buntings up in Boone County on Sunday.

Last Sunday Matt Stickel and I had at least 3 Pine Siskins in my
mother's yard in Louisville. It was interesting that they were not at
the feeders, but instead were foraging on white cedar cones and elm
buds!

I attempted to net Saw-whet Owls again in Jefferson County on Wednesday
night with no luck in 5 hours. Conditions seemed good but no birds.

Also on Wednesday evening, I was surprised that a few of us did not hear
any American Woodcocks on the family farm, where there had been at least
3-5 performing several nights before (and before the big snow). I am
assuming that they found the deep snow too much to contend with and
high-tailed it back south? It will be interesting to see if any more
reappear in the next week.

bpb, Frankfort