[birdky] Purple Martins. Boy, Have I hit the Jackpot !!

  • From: <purplemartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:31:29 -0500

I am glad I found this site!
This is where the REAL Experience checks in.
Thanks for the offers! I'm glad to get some folks offering to drop by at
Bernheim.

A little history about me:
I'm just a guy that put up a martin house, got lucky and built a nice returning
bunch of martins, and accidentally fell into public involvement.
Where I work, there were martin houses. I asked around, and found that the man
that put up the housing had retired long ago. The enviromental engineer
welcomed my offer to monitor the martin housing.

I quickly got tire of answering, "I'm not sure." to folks that would ask me
questions about martins at this public site at work. I "armed" myself with
knowledge, and read about martins more and more. I also downloaded
informational handouts from The Purple Martin Conservation Association. When
someone approaches me now, I have some answers, and usually a handout that they
can take with them to read.

I live walking distance to Bernheim Forest, and always thought this was a great
place to introduce martins to people. Purple Martins almost entirely depend on
human supplied nest sites, and so many of the best martin colonies are "tucked
away", down secluded backroads.

Long story short... I already had the handouts, and read about martins almost
daily... I'm also a member of a "Purple Martin Clubhouse", and literally talk
to some of the most experienced landlords in North America and Canada.

So "For some reason", this hobby of martineering has exploded for me, and it is
my simple goal to share these fasinating birds in a few public places. It
amazes me that I seem to be "alone" in my public colony venture. Looks like I'm
the only one in this area, South of Louisville, that is managing public sites.

I'll bet I'm wrong. If you are sharing your birding to "the next generation",
FANTASTIC !! Our native species have way too much non-native competition, and
desperately need more folks putting up and managing Bluebird, Purple Martin and
Tree Swallow houseing, just to name a few.

Larry Melcher
Bullitt County KY
purplemartin AT windstream DOT net