[birdky] Backyard birds

  • From: Mary Yandell <mtwyandell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BirdKY listserve <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 01:10:14 -0400

Some good birds passed through our yard the last couple of days.
Yellow-bellied sapsuckers continue to tend the lines of sap holes on the
pear tree. A Winter Wren seems to like foraging under our front bushes.

Highlights:

10/16
Turkey Vulture - 29 in formation gliding southeast
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Eastern Phoebe (flycatching from a perch in the white pines)
Blue-headed Vireo (heard it singing before I saw it in our pines)
Winter Wren
Both Kinglets
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler

10/17
Black Vulture - 12 in formation gliding southwest
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 5
American Kestrel
Common Nighthawk - lone bird meandering southwest about 6:45pm
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 2 (one very vocal)
Swallow sp. (appeared to be a Tree Swallow but only had fleeting look)
Winter Wren
Eastern Bluebirds - 3 (calling, flying together)
Tennessee Warbler

Mary Yandell
Louisville, Douglass Hills area