[aztec-users] Re: Scripting/Console window

  • From: "Phillip Martin" <pmartin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aztec-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:04:27 +1000

> Downloaded first crack at console window.  A couple of observations:
>    - No <cr> after results are printed, they just pile up in a line
>    - Answer is printed before input in top part of window:
>         Typed in:       x = 2<ctl-cr>
>         Console window: 2x=2

Oops. Fixed

>    - You can enter things in script window, but results come out in
> console window.

>    - Can't move splitter bar between bottom (entry part) and top

Yeah, one of those things I just haven't got aorund to yet.

> I'm a little disconcerted by the entry in the bottom versus output in
> the top.  Not that this is a bad way to do things, but I've gotten
> accustom to command entry in interpreters where the input and response
> are interspersed.  (This is from use of Lisp, Prolog, and JavaScript
> interpreters.)  I'm curious what other people have either gotten to like
> or have gotten used to.

I understand how its disconcerting. Exactly how I felt when the combine i/o
script interpreter appeaded :)

It just boils down to what you are used to I guess. My personal preference
is for the separate input/output (obviously), and others prefer the two
combined. The tcl interpreter I use a fair bit uses a combined inteface, and
I hate using it. I open up notepad or something, type my scipts in, and copy
and paste them. Same goes for WinCVS (since it uses tcl as well)

I think we can just have the two windows there to cater for everyone.

On an unrelated side note. I have array parameters and associated java
scripting happening at the moment. So I've got javascripts accessing mesh
vertices working, its really neat.