[AZ-Observing] color is not important was Re: How deep can you see?

  • From: "cvsc1" <cvsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 15:36:48 -0600

Generalizations from an up-coming article for the SAC web site.
Taken from lecture notes on Color Theory and the Human Eye.

The eye is comprised of two sets of photo-receptors.
They are called rods and cones.
Rods are responsible for illumination intensity.
Cones are responsible for color.
The eye is most sensitive to greenish-yellow light, however cones respond
quickest to red light.

Under low light levels, the rods are the primary receptors and the cones are in
effect not functioning.

As illumination is increased the cones start to react and discern color while
the rods begin to protect themselves by bleaching out the pigmentation within
the eye, which is responsible for the increased sensitivity.

your light adapted eye-sight.
The reason for the red light, is simple your eye adjusts to it's spectrum
quicker, thus improving your adaptation to light.

Color in less important than intensity of light.

Jack put it right when he said

--
have a great day, and a clear night
Stan Clark