[AZ-Observing] Re: color is not important was Re: How deep can you see?

  • From: "Tom Harvey" <tbharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:58:50 -0700

Stan,
I cannot give you much in the way of references because most of my books on
vision were purchased by my employers and remained in their possession when
I left the companies.  I did  however  keep my copy of the "RCA
Electro-Optics Handbook"  RCA Corp. 1974.  Chapter 5 of that book covers the
eye response to visible light.  Since it is a handbook it is mostly tables,
graphs, and definitions without much in the way of explanatory text.  Brian
gave you enough references to keep you busy so I don't feel too bad about
not being able to supply much in that regard.
As Brian says, the subject can get quite complicated.  It involves not only
the basic physics and chemistry  of the detection of light by the retina,
but the properties of the detector cells (rod and cones), their
interconnections, and the human brain's analysis of the data coming from the
eye.  The images that you perceive from your eyes are influenced by how the
brain functions and what it has learned over time, so it is not just like a
camera (think optical illusions).  You have probably seen various optical
illusions that are basically spatial in nature, but there are color ones as
well that are less widely known to the general public, perhaps color
after-images are best known.

Tom