[AZ-Observing] Re: [amastro] McNaught Daytime visual reports

  • From: Joe Larkin <joeclarkin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:22:26 -0800 (PST)

Very bright and easy in Chandler in 8x42 binos. Extremely bright coma
and a bit of bright tail. Not just a dot, really looks like a classic
comet.

I guess this would be a great comet if it weren't so infernally close
to the sun. Saw it but lost it around 11:30 am, then got a better
view a few minutes ago at 2:15 pm.

Couldn't see it naked eye, due to the crap in my eyes causing glare
and perhaps lack of patience do to a cold and headache rather than
the brightness of the comet.

It really is worth looking at in daylight. I've seen a few
spectacular comets, but never one at midday. As stated, block out the
sun with something like a building and carefully look to the east of
it. I think this brings my number of daytime astro objects up by a
significant amount. Sun, moon, venus, jupiter, mars, mercury (in
transit, does that count?), meteors, comet.

Should be even better right after the sun goes down behind some
mountains (souths or estrellas for me).

Joe