[AZ-Observing] Re: Young Moon, Tues evening

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:19:04 -0700

I was at the 101 loop and 75th ave. in Glendale. The church parking lot
there has an unobstructed view to the western horizon w/ a housing
development about a half a mile away. First sighted it at 1926 hrs using the
Orion 80 mm shortube and a 25mm eyepiece. This time very closely corresponds
with your time and with what Tom Polakis had predicted. Later I could see it
in 10x50 binos and it set from my position at 1937 hrs. I also saw it as a
less than 90 degree, broken arc that had two brighter segments on either
side of the arc's center. Even moving to a 10 mm eyepiece didn't see any
more than that. I also tried to naked eye it and while I knew where to look
could not convince myself that it was possible.

Thank you to Rick Tejera for emailing me the chart. I actually used it to
find the Moon by folding it along Venus and holding the chart segment up to
the sky between the actual Venus and the horizon. Crude and not particularly
scientific but it worked.

Jimmy Ray