[AZ-Observing] Re: Young Moon, Tues evening

  • From: Mark Wainright <mwainright@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:01:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

  I paid attention to Tom's warning about the crud and headed down to Vekol Rd.
since I had the extra time.  I spotted it at 7:22 through 15x70 binos, so
14h46m old.  The Sun-Moon angular separation was 8h38m at the time according to
TheSky.  Tom was also dead on about being able to sight the Moon sometime after
the midway point between the Sun and Moon had set.  I estimate that I saw the
crescent about 7 minutes after the midway point had set.  I was able to keep
the crescent in view to less than 10 arcmins above the horizon.  I was never
able to see the Moon naked eye.

  I was talking to a friend who grew up in Iran about young Moons, and he said
that when you see the young Moon you are to look into the eyes of someone you
love and smile.  Last month's 24 hour old Moon reminded me of that.  It really
looked like the Moon was smiling.  I would say that this 14 hour old Moon
looked more like a smirk.

  Clear skies,
  Mark