[AZ-Observing] Re: When it's Cloudy

  • From: "Howard C. Anderson" <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 06:57:32 -0700

Hi,

I just noticed this thread.

I also was looking for something to do when its cloudy.
So I wrote HandyAvi 2.0.  It lets you use a webcam to
do time-lapse photography.  Doing time-lapse images of the
clouds is one way to beat them.

HandyAvi 2.0 also lets you control a Meade LX-200 telescope
and provides full webcam control for planetary or moon imaging.
Even has an algorithm to keep the planet centered.  You can
capture a thousand images every 10 minutes automatically.  They
can then be used with Registax to make still frames that can then
be used to make a movie of the rotation of Mars or Jupiter for example.

I have not yet tried it with my microscope but that is on my agenda.
Time-lapse movies of amoeba might be cool.  You can collect them by taking
an eye-dropper to a lake and sucking up algae and other yuckky stuff...

See http://www.AZcendant.com

--

Thanks,

Howard     (in Tempe, Arizona)