[AZ-Observing] When it's Cloudy

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:11:38 -0800

Some time ago someone asked what other hobbies to get into when it is
too cloudy or unsettled weather for observing. I mentioned studying
lepidoptera. I just discovered another activity that may actually appeal
to amateur astronomers.

When Dick Jacobson was selling his stuff to close the Astronomy Shoppe I
bought a LW Scientific Revalation binocular compound microscope. I've
always wanted a good one and this one is really nice -  binocoular, two
sets of different focal length oculars, a diopter adjustment, up to 1250
magnification, micrometer adjusted slide holder, adjustable diaphragm,
variable light source, course and fine focus, three different colored
filters in addition to a frosted glass one.

Today I was looking at slices of the bell pepper from my refrigerator.
After looking for awhile I noticed things were moving around. They were
spherical or oblong in shape, green, and had black splotches and
stripes. I concluded these must be chloroplasts, and that is what they
were. I also noticed sausage shaped things twisting around. I have no
idea what these are.

It seems to me microscopy would interest astronomy amateurs because it
is working with an instrument, a microsope instead of a telescope.
Instead of observing the very large you observer the very small. There
is also a fair amount of fiddling around to get the best image as in
astronomy. You vary the light intensity, diaphragm size, used different
colored filters as well as polarizing filters, and one can experiment
with staining, something I haven't done yet. It is also interesting what
the very small is like. Next time eating a raw bell pepper, think of all
those chloroplasts moving around, and the sausage shaped things twisting
around as the bell pepper moves down your gullet.
Stan