[AZ-Observing] Adam Block No Longer at Kitt Peak

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:14:20 -0400

When pressed with the question of who is producing the best astroimages, I
don't hesitate, and answer with the name Adam Block.  For the past 9 years, he
has run the Advanced Observers Program at Kitt Peak.  This has given Adam an
edge on the "competition" in the form of an excellent site and a free
high-quality camera and telescope.  Combine that with his disciplined approach
to image processing, and you get impeccable images such as these:

http://www.noao.edu/outreach/aop/observers/bestof.html

This morning, Adam announced to a mailing list of CCD imagers that he no longer
works at Kitt Peak.  I have pasted in his farewell message below.

Tom

===========

Hi Everyone,

I have been giving some thought about writing this message for sometime now;
but I had not done so up to this point for fear it would come across as being
"self-important" in nature. However, recently many people (manyfrom this list)
have been trying contact me.

I no longer work at Kitt Peak. After nine years of work there, the separation
was inevitable. From the outside I received wonderful support and validation of
my work and efforts. Indeed much of it came from relationships that
precipitated from this group. Unfortunately this trend was not often reflected
internally at my job.

My position was always both enviable and precarious. Now I find myself in the
"interesting" position of having no mountain, telescope, camera or any other
way to express myself in the work that I have been doing for more than a
decade. Just all the knowledge of this stuff between my ears <g>.

I am not certain what is going to happen next- but I would certainly enjoy
participating in this group and living through others vicariously as I am sure
others have done with me through the years. I have two images that I worked on
before my job ended-and I may get a chance to show them soon (nothing too
special, I was doing telescope testing).

For the time being this HOTMAIL account is my main e-mail address and is the
best way to reach me. I hope that others profited from my participation in the
forum because I know that I certainly did throughout the years. I will still be
going to AIC in November and look forward to meeting many of the people I have
communicated with in person.

Sincerely,
Adam