[AZ-Observing] Re: Veteran Observers - Where did you find the time?

  • From: boberdmann@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:52:20 +0000

Hi, Mike,

Count your blessings.  Your wife is at least sympathetic to your observing
needs. I was once married to a woman who begrudged me every second I spent at
the eyepiece.  According to her, I should have been at one of the exclusive
neighborhood parties, brown nosing the Jones's, climbing the local social
ladder while having a truly rotten time.  I'm no longer in that situation <very
large grin> anymore, and am with a woman who enjoys observing as much as I do.
We currently live in one of the dark regions around Prescott, and the average
night shows stars 6.5 or fainter, depending upon atmospherics, and that's
through 60 year old eyes, so I do a lot of observing from the acre of land
behind the house.  I've been at this, as a serious amateur, since 1968, but did
a bunch of observing with a small telescope when I was growing up.  Take what
you can get now, and as your kids grow up, maybe they will even develop an
interest in it, especially if Dad likes to do it.  I know my kids d
 id, even through the turmoil of a quite unhappy 1st marriage.  My son now owns
two telescopes!  :-)

/Bob

Bob Erdmann - Core Team Member & Webmaster
The NGC/IC Project - http://www.ngcic.org
E-Mail: bobe@xxxxxxxxx & robert.e.erdmann@xxxxxxxxx