[AZ-Observing] Re: Veteran Observers - Where did you find the time?

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:54:57 -0700

>You need to take or make time if you want to have time.  When you do manage to
>get out, just do what you want to do and enjoy it.

Mike, I have to agree here.  Being self employeed, it took me quite a
while to realize that I needed to give myself some time once in a while.
You've already cleared the biggest hurdle, your family.  Why not take
the time if it doesn't put them in a bad position?  As far as
work goes, the moon, and therefore, the observing weekends (excepting
weather), is quite predictable, so why not tell the boss man a few weeks,
or months, in advance that you'll need XX off, and MAKE IT KNOWN to all
that you're outta there for that weekend, and too bad if something comes
up last minute.
(Actually, I found that I have to set a deadline prior to my actual
"leaving".   ie...If you want to get out of work by 3pm Friday, tell 'em
that you need
everything on your desk by 12 noon, and that anything put on your desk
should be reasonably easy,  or else it'll have to wait until Monday
before you
even look at it.  No doubt people will take advantage of good nature
unless you put your foot down. )

I can say for certain that the place will still be there when you get
back.  Get out of there a few times a year and enjoy the Arizona skies.

Hang in there
Thad