[AZ-Observing] Re: Veteran Observers - Where did you find the time?

  • From: "Kimball Corson" <kandj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:53:35 -0700

Mike,

I sympathize and share your problem to a degree.  I am older (62) and time
remains a problem and managing it, a nuisance, relative to what I would like
to be doing. I don't see any easy or obvious solutions, short of full
retirement, but the problem then is our eyes are not getting any younger,
especially if you have read a lot as I have. All systems have means times to
failure. I think the best you can do for the here and now, is plan and take
your shots and enjoy what you can when you can, keeping everything in
balance.

In the Phoenix Summer, I road bike as an offset to astronomy. If the night
is cloudy, so too is the dawn likely to be and the riding is good.  I go to
bed early and rise early to ride.  If the night is clear, the viewing is
better and I stay up late to observe, because the sun and heat will be on me
early, compromising my biking. Nice complementarity.

Good luck and patience,

Kimball Corson