[AZ-Observing] Re: The Orion 120mm ED Refractor

  • From: "Jack Jones" <Telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 14:19:10 -0700

One could also ask why bother with a reflector but risk a lot of refr vs refl
talk. I have a 6" reflector and a 4" refractor and guess which one I take out
and use for small-scope purposes. The refractor sets up just as easy and I
never need to stop for collimation. I can usually go right to much higher
powers at 75-100x/inch with the refractor on doubles, planets and Moon. The ED
scopes solve the color problem very well. Venus at lower powers is the only
obvious shortcoming, but how long are you going to stare at something like
this? (Plus it sets pretty quickly :-) I guess the draw is, I just like it to
observe with better as a whole, cost aside. My only preference for reflectors
is you don't get a mirror-image as with refractors and SCTs.

Jack