[AZ-Observing] Re: The Orion 120mm ED Refractor

  • From: Roger Ceragioli <rogerc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 08:36:16 -0700

Such a system will probably have enough variation of spherical
aberration with wavelength that not all of the light from violet to red
will be exactly "in focus."  Yet because there is no obvious spectral
imbalance in the nominally unfocused light, you will see no "color
error" arising from it.

This isn't to say that there's anything wrong with these scopes, but
just to point out that there are many, many complications in fact in
matters of "color correction."

The best scope is the one that gets used and gives the user the greatest
satisfaction.

Roger Ceragioli