[AZ-Observing] Re: The Orion 120mm ED Refractor

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 16:52:25 -0700 (MST)

>>  I read that as two objective elements, making it a doublet.  There's a lot
>>  of confusion over the terms APO, ED, and Achromat, triplet etc.

     Since there are experts on the line here, am I correct in thinking
that there is no "in-between" range of color correction amongst
refractors?  That is, the ordinary doublet has a color error of
something like 1:2800 of the focal-length of the telescope, and
"apos" have error of around 1:10000 or smaller --- with nothing
in-between except by purposely mis-designing an "apo" to have worse
correction than you would get naturally (more-or-less).  I presume
that since the optical materials is a pretty mature technology that
nothing's changed in the last 10 years as far as materials go.

\Brian