[AZ-Observing] Re: The Leonids from Vekol Road

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:37:26 -0700

> Kevin Bays wrote:
> I saw the one I describe as most spectacular at about 10:30 MST.  It passed
> about overhead from my location about 50 miles directly southeast of Tucson.

Then this explains why I never saw it.  Assuming your Leonid entered the
earth's atmosphere 50 miles up at the zenith in your location, from my
location, near Prescott and an estimated 213 miles away, it would only
be about 13 degrees above the horizon.  At my location 13 degrees above
the southern horizon was always clouded out.

This is interesting because I myself had not thought of how different
observations between sites could be until I thought about Bill Ferris'
midnight observation and mine.  Thus, I should not feel very dejected
that I did not see something someone else did, because maybe I would
never had been able to see it anyway.  Certainly, Mel Bartels sighting
were of meteors we in Arizona never saw because he is way in Oregon, I
believe.  Could it be that his seemed to be more spectacular because the
ones he saw actually were?

Stan
---
with the subject: unsubscribe.