[AZ-Observing] Re: The Leonids from Vekol Road

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:27:00 -0700

Kevin Bays wrote:
> I regret missing the one around 5:00 I'm reading about here.  It sounds
> spectacular.
>
> But I have to say that the best one I witnessed was one that streaked almost
> overhead from east to west about 10:30.  This may be the one that Jim
> Cassidy saw from Vekol, and maybe even the one Bill Ferris saw way up north.

Kevin, is your report on UT or mountain standard time?  Bill Ferris'
report on the one he saw at 10:15-10:30 (5:15-5:30 our time) appears to
be the same one Brett Watson reported on his way back to Phoenix.  Bill
reported a bolide around 5:00 UT, midnight mountain standard time, low
in the southern sky.  I reported observing a spectacular Leonid at 12:05
mountain standard time.  However, the one I observed was near the
zenith.  It appears the one Bill observed is the same one I observed.
Since a meteor enters the atmosphere about 50 miles up, observing it 70
miles from its radial position to the earth (the distance from my
location to Flagstaff) would make it appear low in the horizon.
Stan
---
with the subject: unsubscribe.

messages.  Thanks.