[AZ-Observing] Re: Stan's Star Party

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 20:11:37 -0700

Dan Heim wrote:

>I stayed at Blue Hills until around 10:30 pm, at which time the sky was very
>clear.

It is too bad you left so early, Dan. The sky was fantastic from about
midnight, I would guess, until I went to bed at 3:30. The double double
in Lyra was nicely split, the transparency greatly increased, the skies
got very noticeably better, and around 2:30 when I decided to take a
peak at Jupiter I as astounded. It was nice and crisp and full of
detail. It was a great night, later on, in my opinion.

>Only problem was a haze low in the west.  We suspect it was from the
>CA fires, since it was only in the west.  Venus setting was diffused ...
>like looking through fog and definitely orange tinted.  One other small
>problem was those falling ducks.  They were all over the place.
>
>Thanks for a great time Stan!  Love your new 16" Meade.

I love it also. I have to thank Jeff Hopkins for steering me in this
direction. Before I decided to get it I was wrestling with the
Paramount. I had spent considerable effort trying to make it work in my
observatory, but a German Equatorial just does not work because it was
designed for a fork mount. My focus was still on my 12.5" Dall-Kirkham
and I had even considered getting rid of the Paramount and having a
custom fork mount made instead. Jeff suggested I look into the Meade 16
inchers and I did. I re-evaluated and decided it was time to step into
the modern world instead of staying with the Dall-Kirkham, which still
would have needed substantial OTA work even if I had made the Paramount
work. Jeff is responsible for making me see the light. It is definitely
a huge leap up from my old Dall-Kirkham.
Stan