[AZ-Observing] Re: Snow

  • From: "tpolakis@xxxxxxx" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 18:35:41 -0400

Dan,

The "85% clear skies average" must mean that it's somewhat sunny for a good
part of the day.  It has little bearing on the sort of clear sky
astronomers are interested in.  Fortunately, we have the truth in the form
of cloudiness data that Brian Skiff has been gathering since 1980.  We
discussed this subject on AZ-Observing as recently as 2007.

//www.freelists.org/post/az-observing/Flagstaff-nighttime-cloudinesssky
-brightness,6

Note the lack of any real trend in yearly cloudiness.  While troughs
typically don't come this far south in April, it's typically not a very
good month for observing.

Climate change is happening, but I doubt that Arizona's astronomical
viewing conditions have been impacted by it yet.

Tom