[AZ-Observing] Re: Snow

  • From: DBogan3220@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 21:47:10 EDT

I have been in Arizona since Sept of 1974 my first 5 years in this State
just about every month new moon  weekends were a go. Even Jan and Feb. The
monsoon of August 1975 almost was non existant. I could not figure out what
people were talking about. But as I mentioned seems like the weather changed
for  the worse around 1978 and thereafter. Some years being pretty good and
others  down right not fun for Astronomy :(

Dwight

In a message dated 4/15/2009 6:33:28 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Tom,
Irrespective of what the data shows with regard to clouds, it  has been
extremely windy this past month, more so than usual. Other  residents
here have noticed the same thing. April has never been this  windy, and
cold (not all areas are equally affected by global warming, and  besides,
recent research discovered we won't feel the real impacts of  global
warming for about 10 years). Even if the skies are clear, you would  not
be able to observe as most amateurs do because it is just too windy.
Even with an observatory with a dome, like I have, it is not much fun
when the wind is not only strong, but  cold.
Stan

tpolakis@xxxxxxx  wrote:

>Dan,
>
>The "85% clear skies average" must mean  that it's somewhat sunny for a
good
>part of the day.  It has  little bearing on the sort of clear sky
>astronomers are interested  in.  Fortunately, we have the truth in the form
>of cloudiness data  that Brian Skiff has been gathering since 1980.  We
>discussed this  subject on AZ-Observing as recently as  2007.
>
>//www.freelists.org/post/az-observing/Flagstaff-nighttime-cloudinesssk
>-brightness,6
>

>Note  the lack of any real trend in yearly cloudiness.  While  troughs
>typically don't come this far south in April, it's typically  not a very
>good month for observing.
>
>Climate change is  happening, but I doubt that Arizona's astronomical
>viewing conditions  have been impacted by it yet.
>
>Tom

send personal replies to the author, not the  list.

**************Great deals on Dellâ??s most popular laptops â?? Starting at
$479
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220631252x1201390195/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213968550%3B35701427%3Bh)