[AZ-Observing] Re: Sentinel Zip

  • From: "Neville Cole" <nevillecole@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:48:16 -0700

>I have a 12" LX200GPS and I would never consider using it as a
>portable scope.

I also have a 12" LX200GPS, but mine is portable.  It took a few accessories
and modifications to get it that way, and it wasn't cheap to do either.

1) Pete Peterson's Get-A-Grip handles are a must.  They make a huge
difference.

2) Get a mounting assistant type tray to park on top of the Meade Giant
Field Tripod.  Mine is rectangular and is approx 12" x 18" and came from OPT
in Oceanside, California.  It has some nylon bumpers to help with aligning
to scope base on top of the tripod, a pair of bubble levels, and holes for
various eyepieces.

3) The mounting table has thickness to it, making the long bolt you thread
up from underneath a tad short on some scopes.  I got a longer one from
http://www.scopestuff.com

4) Get a JMI carrying case to store it and transport it.  JMI = Jim's Mobile
Inc.

Although it's pricey, the JMI case helps immensely because it has big ballon
tires and folding wheelbarrow style handles.  I've got my techniques worked
out so I can completely move everything and setup by myself.  I can load up
my equipment at home, unload it at the star party, set everything up, and do
it all in reverse.  When lifting the scope's OTA, there's the "clean-jerk"
from the JMI case, a 180 degree turn, two steps, and then I place it on top
of the mounting table between the pegs, and then I can safely let go.  Takes
less than 10 seconds.  The Get-A-Grip handles and the mounting table are
essential for this part.

The hardest thing is that darn tripod.  It's big, heavy, and awkward.  The
mounting table on top of it makes it even worse, but it's a necessary evil.
I'm considering getting the kit from Peterson Engineering and chopping it
down.  That, and making a cradle of some sort to help schlep it around.

It was interesting getting the handles and the case to work together,
because they were not compatible.  The lid wouldn't fit with the handles
installed.  After much bugging, I talked JMI into modifying their case and
eventually got one of their new ones that is now compatible with Pete's
handles.

Couple more notes.  I don't setup my scope if my back is feeling tweaked, or
something else is bothering me.  Even with my techniques, it would be too
much to do and I wouldn't want to drop it. I've never setup on a wedge, only
in Alt-Az mode.  Apparently that's much harder to do, as Jeff indicated, and
others feel is a 2 person job.

Neville