[AZ-Observing] Re: Sentinel Zip

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 12:58:38 -0800

Neville Cole wrote:

>The hardest thing is that damn tripod.  It's big, heavy, and awkward.

Since I do not have an LX200 12" and one of these tripods, I do not know
just how big, heavy, and awkward it is compared to what I am used to.
When my telescope was portable, this is the tripod I used:
http://users.commspeed.net/stanlep/telescopepage2.html

It only weighs about 40 lbs. It is bulky to transport when folded up,
but it is extremely rigid and strong. I think I could use it to lift
motors out of cars - try doing that with a Meade tripod (maybe you can
also). Something like the tripod I used to use probably could have the
top modified to take the Meade LX200 12". This is something that someone
mechanically inclined and able to use a gas welder could make up.
Stan