[AZ-Observing] Re: Polar Alignment

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 05:57:20 -0700

A scope centered ON THE NCP and equipped with a wide enough FOV EP will show
Polaris stationary as the scope is rotated around the RA axis.

As an example, I use a Telrad to quickly pole align when in the field.  I
position it on the "clock dial" position it would have for that time of
evening, placing it roughly 2/3 of the way from the inner ring to the middle
one.  As a final check, I then rotate the scope about 4-6 hours in RA.  If
Polaris seems to stay put between the rings, I am more or less on the pole.

Dick Harshaw