[AZ-Observing] Re: Polar Alignment

  • From: "Paul Lind" <pulind@xxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:05:03 -0700

There's a thing called cone-error, which I believe is the narrow cone traced
out by the optical axis when the mount is set at 90 degrees and then moved
in RA.  Two underlying errors can cause this.  First, DEC axis may not be
perpendicular (orthoganal) to the polar axis, and second, the scope's axis
may not be perpendicular to the DEC axis.  Even with perfect polar alignment
this error can cause problems with digital setting circles.

Paul