[AZ-Observing] Re: Oscilloscope

  • From: stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:21:14 -0700 (MST)

> In addition to my Gilbert chemistry set that used to produce mostly
> un-cleanable test tubes and gelatinous precipitates,
> I used to follow the recipes in 'Rocket Manual for Amateurs' - a book my
> mother would have banned if given the chance!
>
> Did anyone else on the list use this great book?

I have one rocket manual, a thick paperback book. I'll look at the title
when I get back. When I was a teenager a bunch of us also played with
rockets. Our biggest project was a 5' long 2" diameter zinc dust and
sulfur rocket. Each had a task. One person machined the venture. I don't
remember what the others did, but mine was making a accelerometer and a
launching pad. Someone had the responsibility of making an ignition
system. When it came time to launch the igniter did not work and someone
ended up putting newspapers around the bottom and lighting them. It went
off. We never found it. On my own I made zinc dust sulfur rockets of 1"
diameter galvanized water pipe. I made a retro-rocked by having a separate
compartment of zinc dust at the top, with a venture and a fuse to light
it. Before I launched the rocket I lit the fuse. I think it worked because
I found one rocket lying on the ground by a hole in the ground. It looks
like it ignited just as the rocket penetrated the ground.
Stan