[AZ-Observing] Re: Oscilloscope

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 20:17:48 -0700

I was at least half serious about that. The need for accurate and
precise scientific measuring instruments boomed during the Age of
Enlightenment. And that took some really skilled craftsman (or a
scientist who could roll his own). Sure, Tycho was great at building his
huge quadrants, and if you believe what they say about the Antikythera
mechanism, there were obviously skilled "machinists" BC. The first slide
rules were hand-made. Later, someone made the (woodworking) machine that
automated that process. You can get recursive thinking about these
things ... who made the machines that made the first lathe, or drill
press, or hydraulic press? And how were those machines made? You can't
cast some types of parts.

I guess the "Woodworking Era" actually started when Ogg picked up the
first stick and sharpened a point on it.  :)

Dan Heim